Well, it is ONLY posted in the field as "US-21 Bypass", and it was that way
last month. (I was down in Charlotte for the Coca-Cola 600, so I traveled on
that segment of I-77.)  I don't know who added that segment to the main US-21
relation, but might have been NE2, but can't be sure.  Anyways, here's a quick
link to StreetView showing this: http://goo.gl/maps/DiSfn.  Just chock it up to
one of those NCDOT quirks.  I mean, they have a Bypass, Business, Alternate,
and vanilla US-70 in the same area (Smithfield, NC)!

-James