On 23/lug/2013, at 03:04, Ian Dees <ian.d...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thomas, I'd caution against placing nodes every mile and tagging them
> highway=milestone unless there's something more notable about them. Mile
> markers could be computed from the length of the way and all the extra data
> might not be useful.

I think it's not a problem tagging these as milestones, and there are other
people already doing it around here. If there is a particular marker stone I'd
use additional tags like historic to underline the significance. You can
calculate the length of road segments but maybe they won't corrispond in every
case with the exact position of the signs, and as you can see the markers as
feature on their own they can also be mapped.

cheers,
Martin