Hi -

I have a question about exporting OSM data.  Pardon me if this is the wrong
group; please direct me to the correct one if it is.

I'd like to see if I can take .osm format data, and rearrange it - to the
extent possible - to shapefiles using a pre-existing schema.  What is the
easiest way to do this?  I know I can always use xml parsers and shapefile
libraries, but if can get my desired result with config files and existing
programs - or, most of the way to my desired result - this will save a lot of
time.  I've seen some already shapefiles at geofabrik.de, but it's in a
different schema than I'd like, and they drop information that I'm interested
in.

For instance, I'd like to convert tags "highway=primary" and
"highway=secondary" into numeric functional road class values 1 and 2,
respectively.

I saw a tool called osm2shp, but I don't know if it's possible to fully control
the schema of the output.

Anyone have experience with this, or have an idea how to do this?  I may just
write an XML parser to take in the .osm file directly, but I'd appreciate any
help with making this project as simple as possible.

Thanks!
-Alan

"You cannot prevent the birds of sorrow from flying over your head, but you can
prevent them from building nests in your hair.”  - Chinese Proverb