Martijn,

I think it would be conceptually clearest for all the 2-way single
carriageway ways to point the same way and would suggest that this should
normally in be the direction of increasing milepoints/pointes kilometriques
 (usually northwards or eastwards).  At Castle Rock we call this the
positive travel direction (increasing linear reference values) while the
decreasing milepoint direction (reducing milepoints/pointes kilometriques)
we would call the negative direction. It would be great for us if OSM
forward tied in with milepoint increases.

Inevitably there is an occasional glitch in states such as Idaho where "DOT
milepoints" actually reverse direction for sections of 2 or 3 state routes
statewide, due to legacy signposting and route redesignation, but this is
probably less than 1% of routes nationally. More common is minor milepoint
jumps (where routes have been shortened by new construction) and minor
milepoint repeats (where bypasses are longer than the original through
route; a situation that Washington State calls backmiles and Caltrans calls
formulas). Despite this, there is almost always a mostly consistent
increasing milepoint (OSM potential PK tag) postive travel direction that
could become OSM forward on 2-way single carriageways.

We plan to begin adding PK consistently across many states in 2014, with
our state DOT partners, FYI.  It would be nice if this fitted in with the
work you are doing at Telenav.

Just a thought.

Peter