From: James Mast [mailto:rickmastfa...@hotmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 05, 2013 5:18 PM
To: Martijn van Exel
Cc: talk-us@openstreetmap.org
Subject: Re: [Talk-us] Separate relations for each direction of US & State
highways.

Martijn,

How would you suggest using the "role:signed = yes/no" (or is this just for
completely unsigned highways like I-124 in TN where we can add this info into
the main tags of the relation)?  We would still need a way to keep the
direction for the unsigned segment of the route in the role so that the
relation editor in JOSM (and other analyzers) would be able to know that the
route is still going North/East or South/West, especially on a dual-carriageway
(like what happens with US-52 on I-94 in MN and US-19 Trunk on I-279/I-376 here
in Pittsburgh, PA) and would let you know it's still in one piece.

If you don't like the "|" separating the "role = north|unsigned", maybe use the
";" or "," instead?  I could see the ";" working just as good as the "|".

I just want to find a solution to keep the route "all in one piece" instead of
having to have two separate relations for it's signed segment and one covering
the entire route with the "unsigned_ref" tag.  Annoying and easily broken by
new users who don't know why there are two relations for the exact same route
on some segments.

-James