I should add that I do not intend on changing state boundaries, just
mapping indian nations where I know the boundaries to lie on the ground, as
higher than state, lower than the country, inside the US only, if that
wasn't clear on the admin level argument.  It would still be possible to
render a map without such excluded territory at a state level, since, in
practice, there's a LOT of overlap in responsibilities and jurisdiction.