On 2014-07-18 10:53 PM, Paul Johnson wrote:
I should add that I do not intend on changing state boundaries, just mapping indian nations where I know the boundaries to lie on the ground, as higher than state, lower than the country, inside the US only, if that wasn't clear on the admin level argument. It would still be possible to render a map without such excluded territory at a state level, since, in practice, there's a LOT of overlap in responsibilities and jurisdiction.

What you're proposing badly breaks admin hierarchies - hence the need to carve the bits out of the states if you wanted to go that route.