> That was me -- but I would argue it's an unusual way to tag it -- it's not
> the individual letters that are important, it's the whole piece.

yes, that is clear, and the data in OSM also reflected this by having a
site relation to group all the letters into the actual monument. That
relation is the object to put the name, wikipedia link, tourism=attraction
tag etc. (and they are all there).

> You wouldn't tag each president in Mount Rushmore and leave it at that,
> right?

I wouldn't leave it as that, but I also wouldn't tag them singularly and
then add another node for the whole, I'd rather try to combine the
"individual presidents" into a whole piece of artwork by using a relation.

cheers,
Martin