Part of the problem between the tagging schemes and the rendering is that it's
a chicken-and-egg problem; a new tagging scheme is created, but rendering
support isn't there yet (partly because it's a somewhat complex structure), so
people might not use that scheme. However, if there were many instances of
using the newer scheme, then it would be justified for the renderers to add
support for that scheme.

(On the rendering topic, though, I can confirm that OSM's transport map does
support the newer scheme, as does Öpnvkarte, OpenStreetBrowser, OsmAnd, so it's
not lacking.)

A slightly bigger issue I see is that there are two formats for tagging
transportation routes, which will not only require data consumers to code for
both formats, but will also make it harder to link a bus route tagged using the
newer format be "connected" to another bus route using the older format. I feel
that this should be resolved quickly.

--
Saikrishna Arcot