From: James Umbanhowar [mailto:jumba...@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, January 10, 2015 1:28 PM
To: talk-us@openstreetmap.org
Subject: Re: [Talk-us] Bike route relation issues

The GDMBR issue seems to be a conflict between tagging for the renderer and
tagging for the router ;).  To play a little bit of devil's advocate, gravel
roads are eminently bikeable to many non-mountain bikes.  Bike manufacturers
have come out with "gravel grinder" style bikes which are really just old style
road bikes with wide tires. There is fast becoming a continuum from mountain
bike to road racing bike in terms of their ability to handle different types of
road conditions

My opinion is that the road ways themselves should be tagged as unpaved (or
tracks as many already are).

The I-5 thing seems strange.  That is not a separate "bike route" but rather an
interstate highway that allows bicycles.  bicycle=yes on all the component ways
should be sufficient.

James