On 2/4/2015 11:25 PM, Greg Morgan wrote:
  addr:housenumber contains both the number
and the building letter in the same field.  The map is useful because
you can find the building. How have other people tried to handle these
situations?

I haven't tried in any meaningful way. It's too early to guess how an address matching utility might work. Until now I have used both

 addr:housenumber=724D

and
 addr:housenumber=724 + addr:unit=D

depending on whether the address specified by the owner's web site included the letter. More recently, I've gravitated towards separating the addr:unit even if the owner specified it as one word, but I'm not sure it's the most useful. The addr:housenumber doesn't render anyway if the building has also been tagged as another POI that renders.