Being familiar with the SANDAG data (and less so, its import into OSM), the importation of landuse polygons into OSM (having done a number of these myself in California), Escondido proper (been there many times) and the various ways that California cities grow (often with low density, urban sprawl and heavy dependence on automobiles...), Escondido doesn't look all that "bad" to me in OSM. In fact, especially in its commercial areas, it is one of California's better-looking cities in OSM (in my opinion).

What Hans calls a "mega residential area" is actually local zoning which says that all properties (parcels) in a given area are zoned residential. While not strictly true that each square meter of this area has residential buildings upon it where people live, it is true that each square meter of this area is ZONED residential. In my opinion, this is a "loosely correct" way that OSM might represent a particular area, though I am quick to add that "capturing zoning with landuse= is a good first step to avoid large blank areas, but actual on-the-ground data are preferred to simple zoning (landuse=) when on-the-ground data are also known." (I have said exactly this for many years in our Santa Cruz County wiki).

So, while we might leave these polygon data alone, we might also agree (somewhat strenuously) that a better job of adding actual building polygons that represent dwellings (houses, apartments, condominiums, dormitories...) is an excellent next step as welcome additions to OSM. Especially as they might contain building:levels tags, these can provide a visual representation of the density of urban areas which distinctly are "landuse=residential" much better than can Escondido's current representation of simply "gray coloring punctuated by streets." In fact, it can be seen that some buildings have been added, and some have not.

Call it a work in progress. OSM, Escondido and Escondido-in-OSM, that is. One brick (building, train station, bike route, pub, park bench...) at a time.

SteveA
California