stevea writes:
 > but TIGER data in general just need serious and sustained attention
 > until consensus emerges that they don't.

What about this: I've noticed, at least in NY, that some of the
counties are excellent, and some are much less so. What about creating
a persistent tiling of the US which starts with county borders, and
splits the county up into sections which are managable in a half-hour's
time (say). The editor visits a site which accesses the JOSM remote
control protocol. They fix up the TIGER date and indicate "Yes, I'm
done" or "Needs more work", and after a couple of Yes votes, it gets
taken out of rotation.

As a "stetch goal", it could only give you tiles close to your home,
or allow you to specify a region of interest and only give you tiles
within that region.

Is anybody interested in using such a service?

Crynwr supports open source software
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-600-8815
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog