On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 4:41 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com
> wrote:

>> At its most basic, OSM is a geospatial database. We have countries,
>> states, counties, and cities. Why not neighborhoods. OSM tells where a
>> feature is located. Points can only tell us how close a feature is to a
>> node. Using nodes to represent neighborhoods doesn't allow with any
>> certainty where a feature is located while a polygon can.

Points are too general.
Polygons are too specific.

Jeeze.  One could invent something in between: an approximate radius point
or a fuzzy polygon.

----

Please don't assume because your particular neighborhood has (insert one:
fuzzy boundaries, exact legal boundaries,
well understood boundaries, an edit war about the boundary, a name used
only for a railroad outhouse building in 1850)
that there is only One True Solution.