On 4/3/2015 9:17 AM, Richard Welty wrote:
i think the long term future of OSM will probably involve more
OHM like projects to supplement OSM. my question is how will
the core OSM community treat them? right now it seems very
mixed.

I think it's a great idea. There may be some definition about when to add things to OHM. For Ghost tracks for example, should it be added when -

 The track is not operational?
 The bleachers are dismantled?
 The track is torn up?
 When the banked oval no longer leaves a depression in the terrain?
 When the variation in tree growths no longer take the shape of the oval?
When an archeologist digging in the area would not reasonably expect to find any racing artifacts?

OHM would be something to get used to. Now I'm all too happy to obliterate all items in a construction zone when the bulldozers and wrecking ball arrive on site. I'm not sure any random buildings would be of interest to OHM unless they had some special significance.

I can see Russ's point that even if the dismantled tracks are moved to OHM, it breaks the relation and continuity of railroad track analysis. I hope that we can postpone railway deletions until we have had a chance to explore the issues and come up with some solutions.