Trail Ridge Road is a bit of an exception to normal NPS rules because it
does connect two population centers that are otherwise very far from each
other.
I don't have any more specific knowledge on the exceptions other than the
stories from Russell.
In any case, you do need to check in at the gate and explain why you can
legally use the road.