I've also been researching this with some local traffic engineers / road
fans. There are still instances of this sign being posted, mostly on dirt
roads where the DOT does not want tracked vehicles like bulldozers--or
tanks--to drive them.

That said, I don't see an applicable access restriction for tracked
vehicles on the OSM access tagging list.

On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 1:35 AM Greg Morgan <dr.kludge...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 8:45 AM, Harald Kliems <kli...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Very useful, Simon. Thanks!
>>
>> Slightly OT: Can anybody explain what R5-5, "No vehicles with lugs"
>> means? I'm assuming it doesn't refer to vehicles like this
>> http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_MyBrrEGexIg/TEIogw5nrdI/AAAAAAAAAFk/Jl7SF5tfQV0/s1600/L9990154.JPG
>>

> You made me look...
>
> In the early years of the 20th century, hard-surface roads often had signs
> that read: “Tractors with Lugs Prohibited.”
>
> Those early tractors were built with steel wheels covered with piercing
> lugs that gouged every surface. I remember the signs on U.S. 63 south of
> Stewartville to Racine and then on Minnesota Highway 16 going west to Grand
> Meadow.
>
> By the late 1930s, tractors finally were being built with rubber tires
> that still gave field traction and speed, sometimes up to 20 mph on the
> road.

> http://www.postbulletin.com/news/local/tractors-with-lugs-were-dangerous/article_580aa04a-5d73-5de1-8139-7b402a63ba90.html

Elliott Plack
http://elliottplack.me