On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 4:12 PM, Andy Townsend <ajt1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Another question - if not OSM, what maps do hikers in the area use now?
> Something from the US Forest Service, or something else?

Answering the question for the US in general:
1) National Geographic Trails Illustrated [1] - Not as detailed as I would
like, but shows the official trails and is good enough for most folks.
2) USGS 7.5 minute topo quad maps (the old ones). Some of the trails have
changed since these were published, but if you are interested in topography
for off trail navigation, these are still a great resource.
3) National Parks hand out rather general maps, and for a lot of folks this
is all they need.
4) There are also a number of websites that show trails that have been
GPS'ed overlaid on a commercial (unfortunately) map source. e.g. [2]

[1]
http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs/category/maps/travel-and-hiking-maps/trails-illustrated-hiking-and-recreation-maps
[2] http://www.hikingproject.com/