I would actually like for us to shy away from using closed systems to do an
open project. I'm in favor of remaining with IRC because it's a
well-established open standard with multiple different networks and service
providers.

Don't get me wrong, Slack is really nice. I use Slack for other
communications. I just don't think it's appropriate for our project.