> On Mar 30, 2016, at 12:31 AM, Shawn K. Quinn <skqu...@rushpost.com> wrote:
>
> On Sun, 2016-03-27 at 00:07 -0700, Steve Coast wrote:
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slack_(software)
>
> And on this page:
>
>> License   Proprietary
>
> Until and unless there is an alternative client that is free software
> (ideally GPL licensed, but BSD/MIT licensed would also be okay), I would
> prefer to stick with IRC or its successor.

Slack can be used via a web browser, which I think would fit your criteria,
Shawn.

I’ve been using Slack at my past two jobs, one installation with ~50 people
where it recently displaced Flowdock and the other with ~500 people where it
displaced a mix of Campfire, IRC, and email. I’ve found it to be an excellent
chat tool, though I have occasionally found it overwhelming when too much
planning is happening in a streamed, conversational medium. Some things are
just better by email; it’s got its place.

-mike.

sf/ca            http://mike.teczno.com/contact.html