On Sat, May 21, 2016 at 10:06 AM, Lars Ahlzen <l...@ahlzen.com> wrote:

TopOSM was never rendered on-the-fly. It's just a (very large) set of
> static tiles (currently hosted by Stamen).
> ​

​And that's appreciated.​

There's already the OSM cycle map which has a lot of the same features,
> though with a slightly different focus. I guess one advantage of something
> like toposm is that it can use higher-resolution data from sources like
> USGS, and uses US conventions for things like units, symbols and other
> cartographic details.

​Yes and yes
​

> Would it be would be worth picking it up again?

yes, but which goal? ​reordered:
​

> ​​To update it I'd have to either re-render and upload the entire set, or
> improve it until it can be rendered in real time. I was working on the
> latter [1] but never quite finished it.​

​If the horsepower to render it real-time is available, it would be nice to
have, but seems unnecessary.​
Cyclically updating periodically on a background process would likely be
good enough.
For 'real time', cycle-map is good enough.
The elegance of TopOsm is worth waiting for.​

--
Bill Ricker
bill.n1...@gmail.com