I'm usually talking about mapping in much more remote areas, and I've
been using 'track' more to denote more road quality. In some of the
places I go, there are public rights-of-way that haven't been
maintained by the counties in decades, that would still be lawful to
drive on if you had a vehicle that could do it. They range from
"completely grown to trees but you can most likely ride an ATV"
through "mostly used for forestry, and high-clearance vehicles
shouldn't have much problem, but don't try it in a passenger car" to
"pea gravel and sugar sand that someone grades once a season, used as
an auto road in the summer and a snowmobile track in the winter." The
first is "highway=path" with appropriate notations for what uses are
permitted, the second is "highway=track" (I could add "access=yes" but
I thought that was the default for all highways); the third I'm less
sure about, and I'm inconsistent between "track" and "unclassified"
(with restrictions of 15 May-15 October, or whatever the season is).
These are all roads where I have to keep reassuring my city-bred wife,
"yes, this is a public road, even if it looks like an abandoned
driveway!" when driving a 4WD down one.

These are all legally public highways. Many of them are of a
classification that allows a landowner to gate them to restrain
livestock while allowing the stock to cross the road, as long as the
gate is left unlocked so that a traveler can pass, so they might be
gated and still public.