On Sat, Jun 4, 2016 at 5:01 PM Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.kenny+...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'm usually talking about mapping in much more remote areas, and I've
> been using 'track' more to denote more road quality. In some of the
> places I go, there are public rights-of-way that haven't been
> maintained by the counties in decades, that would still be lawful to
> drive on if you had a vehicle that could do it. They range from
> "completely grown to trees but you can most likely ride an ATV"
> through "mostly used for forestry, and high-clearance vehicles
> shouldn't have much problem, but don't try it in a passenger car" to
> "pea gravel and sugar sand that someone grades once a season, used as
> an auto road in the summer and a snowmobile track in the winter."

Isn't that what "tracktype=gradeX" is for?   The first case would be
highway=track; tracktype=grade5, the second probably tracktype=grade2 and
the last tracktype=grade1.  They're all highway=track (utility/farm vehicle
access), but just different grades (from grassy cow paths up to hard packed
gravel/clay roads that are, in some places, probably nicer than most back
water county paved roads.

You mentioned forestry, so naturally I think of logging roads.  Technically
it's public land, so there's no restriction to access, but for all intents
and purposes, they are highway=track.

The
> first is "highway=path" with appropriate notations for what uses are
> permitted, the second is "highway=track" (I could add "access=yes" but
> I thought that was the default for all highways); the third I'm less
> sure about, and I'm inconsistent between "track" and "unclassified"
> (with restrictions of 15 May-15 October, or whatever the season is).
> These are all roads where I have to keep reassuring my city-bred wife,
> "yes, this is a public road, even if it looks like an abandoned
> driveway!" when driving a 4WD down one.

General public access roads, though, in extreme rural areas where the road
is not what city folks would call a road -- probably would be unclassified
with a "surface" qualifier (unpaved, compacted, dirt, earth, whatever).

The description for highway=path says it's generally used for non-motorized
vehicles.  I'd prefer highway=unclassified, also with a surface qualifier.
But...

... I'm not bashing anybody over the head with my opinion, just stating an
alternate point of view.  I'm fine with whatever anybody wants to do as
long as it's consistent and has some kind of rationale behind it.