I don't live there but Mapillary user marc has nice coverage for some of
the roads in question[1].  I am _guessing_ that a formula was developed
based on the width value that Massgis had in their data. Looking at
Mapillary while in JOSM, it almost looks like there is a one off error or a
condition in one area of Massachusetts did not apply to another area of
Massachusetts.  Again these are just guesses!  If you look at Massachusetts
Avenue via JOSM/Mapillary, the street looks like lanes = 2 except for a
turning lane here and there.

Massachusetts Avenue
width = 18.9; lanes = 3
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/8615119