For start: the best place to propose improvements to default map
style is to propose it at
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto

In other places it is highly unusual that somebody involved in
development map style will notice it and on issue tracker
( https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues ) proposed
ideas stay under implementation or rejection so nothing is missed
(though somebody still need to implement it),

On Sun, 7 Jan 2018 19:58:54 +0000
Doug Hembry <doughem...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> You are right that I raised the issue of the green fill for
> leisure=park because it is being used for large, wild protected
> lands

That is clearly incorrect tagging. But I guess that these people would
just switch to leisure=pitch or leisure=garden if
rendering for leisure=park would be removed.

> I'm not sure what you meant about the national_park borders... I'm
> sorry. Could you clarify?

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:boundary=national%20park?uselang=en
is already rendered so I am curious why people still tag for renderer
and use leisure=park in places that are something completely diffferent.
Typically it stops when correct tagging is also displayed.

> And it's really no big inconvenience for mappers to
> add landuse=grass (or whatever) to their definition of a small urban
> park.

Note that in my experience (limited to Europe) it is very unusual for
entire park to have a single land cover (either grass or trees or
anything else) and it is vastly simpler to draw park area than many
landcover=* or landuse=* areas.

> On the other hand, one could argue that since the natural=*,
> landcover=* (and even landuse=*) tags exist, why should we be
> providing another, special way of fill-coloring parks (even small
> urban parks)?

Primarily - to display something useful also in areas that are not fully
mapped (what is quite rare).

> would be
> to drop rendering for "boundary=national_park" and
> "leisure=nature_reserve" as well

I would not expect it to happen soon. Especially as this tagging is not
terrible and is simpler than proposed new one and widely used.

Completely broken waterway=wadi tag still haunts us (see
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/1365 ) for
links to gory details.