I used to use OsmTracker to voice record addresses but found that the back end,
entering the data into JOSM, was slow and problematic. Passing cars or other
sources of sound often made my spoken number very hard to understand. And for
every number I had to play the recording, create a point, type the house
number, etc.

My current address gathering procedure it to run both OsmTracker and
KeypadMapper simultaneously. I use the geo-tagged photo capability in
OsmTracker to capture street, stop, speed limit signs, and other points of
interest like benches, public transit stops, etc. And I use KeypadMapper to
collect the house numbers. With Keypad mapper I can generally type the upcoming
number then as I pass the actual house, verify it and press a button to record
it near the proper location. For a typical western US subdivision I can walk
along at a pretty good clip and not slow down when collecting addresses so I
can get my daily exercise in too.

Back at JOSM I can use my GPX tracks from either OsmTracker or KeypadMapper to
assure the aerial imagery is lined up, then adjust the points collected by
KeypadMapper to the best location, quickly add the street names (verified by
photos from OsmTracker), etc. It makes the back end editing/entry side much,
much faster than using voice on OsmTracker.

As of a year or two ago, the more recent version of KeypadMapper has an
“anti-feature” as F-Droid like to call it in that it collects and sends cell
tower information to a company/organization. Because of that, I have compiled
my own version of KeypadMapper from an older source that does not do that. If
you wish I can put my personal copy of the KeypadMapper out where you can pick
it up if you like.

With respect to hassle, both using voice on OsmTracker and typing numbers on
KeypadMapper are much better than the walking papers style address collection
in my view. In both cases you look pretty innocuous, people are used to
strangers walking down a street talking or texting on a cell phone. I’ve not
been bothered or even asked what I am doing using either of those methods. Back
when I was using the walking papers method, carrying a clipboard with a printed
map writing down notes, I was stopped and questioned a number of times by
locals and once they called the police on me. Everything I was doing was legal,
but it wasted both my time and a police officer’s time.

-Tod