I received a number of really useful notes that have been really helpful.

@Martjin:
I purchased a Columbus V900 from eBay – about $100 – and will play with it over
the weekend to see if I can find a workflow that works for me.

A number of folks suggested OSMTracker and KeypadMapper, but – alas – they are
Android and I use an iPhone. I do have a Samsung tablet that runs Android, but
it’s a bit large to be walking around a neighborhood – I worry about getting
called out until I have a bit more experience doing this.

I do notice that for both OSMTracker and KeypadMapper note “This app may not be
optimized for your device”, but I don’t know if that’s serious or not.

I have played with Vespucci, but it’s also Android only. I guess I should buy a
cheap old phone and just use it for wifi where I don’t care about a SIM or a
carrier or whatever.

I’ve been using Go Map!! on my iPhone, which is a lovely app by Bryce Cogswell,
and I found a workflow that mostly works.

At the start of a block I’ll manually add house points for that block on top of
the aerial imagery (each node on top of the house itself), entering everything
*but* the house number. Now I have a block full of partial entries. I do this
while standing out of the way and it looks like I’m sending a text message.

Then I walk the block and enter the numbers: this is made easier when most
blocks have uniform numbering that I can just mentally note “plus 10… plus 10…
plus 10…” and enter most of them at the end of the block.

When I get home I use JOSM to clean everything up.

The bummer with Go Map!! is that it hasn’t been updated in several years, and
it’s an *amazing* battery hog. I assume that there are battery optimizations
that haven’t been done yet, and I hope Bryce picks this back up sometime.

It was also suggested that I take pictures of the house numbers and correlate
them later: I do this now for points of interest or odd things, but I’m not
sure this would scale up to hundreds of houses in a busy residential
neighborhood.

Thanks again, all. I’m about to head out for another foot survey mission.

Steve