Albert Pundt <roadsgu...@gmail.com> writes
> Many towns and suburbs in my area are only CDPs, and having proper boundaries
> for them seems like it'd be useful, especially in more densely populated
> areas. It's not like there's any fuzziness with them either, since they're
> defined by the Census Bureau and could only change once every 10 years. Only
> one U.S. census has occurred in OSM history, so it's not like we'd be
> constantly updating them.

Thank you for your perspective Albert, and while you didn't ask a direct
question, I am left with a couple myself after reading your observations:

Are these actually "towns" (or "cities") and so should be mapped
boundary=administrative and admin_level=8?
Are these actually "suburbs" and so should be mapped as nodes tagged
place=suburb inside of cities (which are mapped as the previous sentence)?

Noting in our United States admin_level wiki that a particular state SHOULD map
with a particular "rungs on the ladder" hierarchy of particular admin_level
values is useful, since by consensus we took our time to get those correct for
that particular state.  THEN, there are assigning proper values on those proper
entities, whether they came from the Census Bureau or need to be created/come
from some other source.  If a census boundary exactly matches a city or town
boundary, for example, (though it might prove challenging to discover or verify
that), well, by all means:  rather than deleting that tagged polygon, we can
simply change the tags from boundary=census to boundary=administrative, add an
admin_level=8 tag (perhaps add a border_type=city tag) and be done until the
next decennial census.

However, that's the tricky part: IS that Census Bureau-produced boundary truly
the town or city boundary?  Or is it simply (and likely incorrectly) a "Census
Bureau-produced boundary of census tract agglomerations" rather than a true
corporate boundary as denoted by the city itself (or its parent state)?  Either
might be correct, but as of now, data in our map are not sure.  In OSM, I'd
like the data surely to be what it claims to be.  I don't believe we have that
today with many Census Bureau boundaries, except that they denote a "boundary"
of some sort:  sometimes correctly denoted "census" with no admin_level value
(but should have one on a different and correct polygon), sometimes incorrectly
denoted "administrative" with a questionable (maybe correct, maybe not) value,
but on a polygon which is Census Bureau produced and possibly incorrect,
possibly correct but we don't know that the Census Bureau exactly mapped a
corporate boundary

Locally speaking, they might appear to be "better than nothing, at least until
the next decennial census," but ask yourself:  what are these really denoting?
If the answer is "we don't know if this is a corporate boundary or not" then we
must at a minimum change the boundary tag from administrative to census,
deleting any admin_level tag.  (Taking note amongst ourselves that these
boundaries are marginally useful at best, especially when there are entities
like towns and cities that deserve to have their corporate boundaries in our
map).

We've already achieved consensus that "CDPs are lesser entities."  I'm
suggesting we go ahead and delete them as noise (except in truly useful
circumstances absent any "better" data, as in Alaska).  Superseding them with
better data:  I'm all for that where we can do so.

SteveA
California