On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 10:37 AM, Jack Burke <burke...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Keep in mind that OSM apparently uses "compacted" to refer to macadamized
> roads, which is a specific process for building roads.
>
> Maybe they wiki should be updated to say that roads with loose pieces of
> gravel scattered around but a hardened underlying surface is compacted, not
> gravel?

I don't quite grasp the categories on the Wiki.

I know that there are a good many rural roads around here that are finished
with crushed stone (typically ones that would go through a 1-2 cm sieve)
and fine sand. I'm not aware of a binder to harden the surface - certainly
asphalt is not used. The local soil is limy enough that it could be that
Mother Nature provides an adequate binder Herself, or it could be that the
surface is simply traditional angled-stone macadam. Certainly it would not
support high-volume traffic. It's dusty and the surface would fall apart
under a heavy load.

The advantage of the stuff is that a grader, roller and a couple of dump
trucks can repair all the damage from frost heaves and rockslides much
faster than the roadbuilding crew for a deep-bedded asphalt road. Many of
these roads are open only seasonally - nominally they close 1 December-15
April, but in practice they'll stay open longer if there's no snow, open
early if the conditions allow, or open late if Spring is late in arriving.

I label it 'compacted', but the Wiki definitions don't seem to fit exactly.

I've also tagged a couple of roads 'surface=shale'. They are places where
the road is laid our by clearing the soil - often only a few cm thick -
from native shale. The passage of traffic compacts the shale, providing a
fine-grained surface, and the native shale is limy enough that it forms
quite a good surface for driving. It does have a bad habit of forming
fissures and sinkholes - a natural hazard of karst terrain.

And there are a couple of roads that I've tagged 'surface=shells'. They're
old roads in a fishing village, macadamized using crushed oyster shells as
both aggregate and binder. Again, they provide a fair surface for traffic.
Oh lordy, though, do they ever stink for a week or two after being laid
down!

The locals call all of these, 'dirt roads.' They are not.