I have realized I only replied to Clifford and not replied all, so our
conversation has not been uploaded to talk-us.  Here is the summary of the
convo.
________________________________
On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 9:53 AM Mulea, Gregory
<gregory.mu...@ppd.mncppc.org<mailto:gregory.mu...@ppd.mncppc.org>> wrote
Thanks for the reply.  I have updated the wiki to include information about our
tagging plans.  Let me know if that is sufficient.
Honestly I’m pretty new to OSM (I have done small basic edits but nothing
compared to this) so I’s still learning.  I plan on using the JOSM editor to
import these files but if there are better options I am happy to learn about
them.  As for the conflating issue, I believe that JOSM has a method to check
for overlap of polygons in which you can decided whether to keep or discard the
copy (I plan to do this with the buildings polygon file).  As for point data, I
am unsure as to how to test/check for already existing points (for example
importing the libraries points file, if there is already an existing library I
have not found a way to check for that).
________________________________
Breaking the import up into small sections and using the Tasking Manager to
work each section at a time is what I've done in the past. I use census voting
districts - they seem to be a reasonable size. I believe you can use a python
script or like I do, use postgresql to grab polygons/points by voting district.
Ask Ian on Slack for permission to administer his TM.
JOSM has a conflation tool, but it was broke last time I tried to use it. If
there is an existing building outline, I determine which one more accurately
represents what's on the ground. If the import is, I select both outlines and
use the "Replace Geometry" tools that comes with the utils2 plugin. If the OSM
data is better, I copy any tags missing on the OSM data from the import over to
the existing building.

Check out
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Kirkland_Import<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwiki.openstreetmap.org%2Fwiki%2FKirkland_Import&data=02%7C01%7Cgregory.mulea%40ppd.mncppc.org%7C868eaf91971a4477684c08d5cc99dc99%7Ca9061e0c24ca4c1cbeff039bb8c05816%7C0%7C1%7C636639883579760784&sdata=i5BfSY2cDl8F%2BYEBsY6%2BZAsPRbiSzgmoQ5iWaVH%2BHI4%3D&reserved=0>
 for information on how we did that import.

Best,
Clifford

On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 10:51 AM Mulea, Gregory