There are some cases where naming link roads makes sense. For example, I
tag the roads coming out of roundabouts as link roads (especially if it's
something like a residential road intersecting, a note important road like
a secondary road, and I tag the slip roads for that leg of the roundabout
as secondary_link), and it is pretty helpful for routing purposes to name
the link roads in that case. Also helpful if the link roads represent a
RIRO (right-in, right-out) intersection.

-Evin (compdude)