The ref=* tag on ways is already 100% redundant if the way is already a
part of the appropriate route relations and should be phased out so ref can
be used to actually describe the way's ref, where applicable.

Also, can we kill this dinosaur entirely already?  Route relations have
been a widely accepted thing for a decade now, if you're not using route
relations for your primary source of route information (instead of
expecting tags on some other non route object to tell you), then you're
doing it wrong and you don't matter.