tl;dr: Please, add always surface tag and other similar tags as needed.

I see that I answered at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Talk:Key:highway&diff=1844151&oldid=1843977

<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Talk:Key:highway&diff=1844151&oldid=1843977>

It is a tricky topic. Lets start from disclaimers:

(1) I am from Poland and unfamiliar with US local situation (though I am
familiar with hiking)
(2) I was involved in one of highway=path controversies - see
https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Mateusz%20Konieczny/diary/35389
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Mateusz%20Konieczny/diary/35389>
https://gist.github.com/gravitystorm/ff5a6fdc695f08de1751
<https://gist.github.com/gravitystorm/ff5a6fdc695f08de1751>
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pull/1713
<https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pull/1713>

Note that highway=footway is used in multiple ways. it may be used to indicate
(1) a paved footway
(2) way primarily for walking.

In both cases I would encourage tagging also physical characteristics - at
least surface=*
(StreetComplete is useful here).

"Path and track indicate the physical characteristics of the way." - I would
dispute this.
There are highway=track that are high-quality asphalt, there are ones that are
overgrown/muddy/with deep sand. Note that tracktype=* exists. I would argue the
same for
highway=path, though many argue that surface=unpaved may be safely assumed
there.

"cycleway/footway/bridleway should be discouraged, and should be only used if
that is
the only permitted usage" - also for cases like highway=footway + bicycle=yes?

Apr 19, 2019, 4:28 PM by bradha...@fastmail.com: