A lot of good comments here.    My motivation for bringing this up is for clarity and consistency, and to make it easier for new mappers to get involved.   As stated in the wiki, a multiuse path could be tagged as path, cycleway, footway, or bridleway (and maybe other things too)   I can see historical and local reasons for various uses.   This is redundant and confusing for mappers and renderers, but so be it, I won't try to change it.   I certainly won't be changing any tags in other countries, or even any regions in the US far from me.

It would be nice to have some consistency withing the US though wouldn't it?    It usually is, and the comments reflect that, but I have come across 1 trail, and 1 trail network,  both are rugged hiking/mtb/horse trails that were tagged as cycleways.   I changed them to path, and it would be nice if I could reference a wiki to back up my change.

Without inventing anything country specific (re:Rihards), or conflicting with the wiki, I think we could come up with guidelines and translations that would help us be consistent.

I could try to put a table in, but not sure how it would come out in various email readers, so consider this table with ":" separators

OSM tag ; common US name : definition

path ; single track/trail/path ; multiuse dirt path including motorized, further specified with other tags
footway ; sidewalk/hiker only trail ; pedestrian only sidewalk or path
cycleway ; bike path ; paved path, open to bikes, & I've never seen one that wasn't open to pedestrian too bridleway ; horse trail ; path open only to horses (I think these are uncommon, hiker/horse trails are common & these would be better tagged as path with bicycle:no
[Notice that these all could be handled with the path tag and sub tags]
I haven't included roads because they seem to be tagged pretty consistently, and the wiki is better. I realize it would be nice to use the surface tag & I will use that on all trails where it makes sense, but so far I haven't found a highway:path that was paved. I think this is consistent with the way most US mappers are doing it, and also consistent with the way the renderers are handling it (openfietsmap and openandromap for example).   If others in other regions of the US

I was talking to a local friend (who is mostly a dirt biker) who is getting started with OSM and he said there isn't anything for a trail,  I pointed out that there was a path tag, but I understand his confusion.  Looking at the wiki, the picture for path looks like a very wide trail, but the description seems to encourage footway, cycleway or bridleway instead.   It would be nice if new mappers didn't get discouraged by the confusion.