On 4/29/19, Greg Troxel <g...@lexort.com> wrote:

> With leisure=nature_reserve, leisure=park, golf courses, cemetaries,
> schools, etc., we represent them on the map by some kind of shading or
> fill.  But, boundary=protected_area is represented by denoting the
> border, and this does not serve map users well.

If you are talking about the Openstreetmap-carto style (the standard
map layer on openstreetmap.org), then this is not quite correct.

It's true that leisure=park and golf courses are represented by a fill
color for the whole polygon.

However, leisure=natural_reserve, boundary=national_park and
boundary_protected area (with protect_class  1 thru 7 and 97-99) are
currently rendered identically, with a green semi-transparent outline.
(There is also a semi-transparent green fill at low zoom levels).

The other type of boundary is "boundary=aboriginal_lands" and
"boundary = 'protected_area" with "protect_class=24" - these are used
for American Indian and Alaskan Native reservations and other similar
features, and are
rendered with a brown outline.

Military areas and tourist areas (zoos, theme parks) are also rendered
with outlines in red and purple.