Phil! and Kevin, I like everything said!

"Huge are tough to edit," yes.  "Tie them all together with a super-relation to
show that they are together with certain tags," yes, or maybe.  I'm kicking it
around, we are.

The C&O Trail does make for an interesting case.  We might agree that
cycle_network=US:NPS is a good start.  But exactly which object in OSM to tag
this?  Sometimes we make what seems like a duplicate of existing data,
sometimes we shine a bright light forward by keeping things separate at the
cost of a bit of apparent redundancy but really more like specificity.
Sometimes we tie a bow AND a ribbon on things.  OK.

Richard (username) edited relation 1392951 a day or so ago and I'd say
tightened up at the Maryland level.  If somebody tied this COC and others
together into a "C&O" super-relation tagged with cycle_network=US:NPS (and "the
correct" member elements as state-level routes) I could see balls continuing to
bounce as they have been, especially as mild naming conventions "stitch a
whole" together, Lonvia's routes panel is quite informative in this regard,
though the alphabetic vs. numeric sorting of the USBRs went out the window long
ago.  If not, OK.  If COC and others get a cycle_network=US:NPS tag, and we
pause, no super-relation, OK, that makes sense, too.  I think we have to "keep
being sensible."  Maybe have a check point amongst ourselves every once in a
while.  Consensus can be slow.

With less wordiness, I know.  It's a big country, a big map, a big planet.
Let's do our best, especially when talking with each other about how we agree
things are built.  It's been chaotic, it has always a little chaotic, nothing
wrong with a little order understood amongst us.

SteveA