FYI the user also joined the changeset discussion as of recently. Based on
the message and previous changeset comments (e.g. "trunk-primary fixes
(that i messed up)" in
https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/79132672#map=12/28.4681/-81.4027)
it seems to be an honest mistake.

I can help out with fixes over the weekend. Let me know if you come up with
a plan to restore highway=motorway tags.

Levente