On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 3:30 PM Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> hunting down spam in OSM I often stumble over medical establishments in
> the US that have maximum-length description tags exhorting just how
> beatiful your smile will be after your visit to that dentist, etc.; I
> also find many objects that sound like a simple doctor's practice but
> are entered as "amenity=clinic", e.g.
>
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/4574659098

This happens a lot, i question the sources especially the georeferencing
(which probably means "looked up address on Google, copied lat and long
into OSM") to the point I delete on sight when I see edits similar to
Revision 1 of that node.  I might clean it up I've independently also
spotted the business and can do it better justice.  Just a quick look over
user 42TEAM's edit history suggests just another database spammer (usually
of the variety that just has a username of the same name as the business
that's being added).

> Especially in the US, when do you use amenity=doctors and when
> amenity=clinic - is this essentially self-determined by the business, or
> are there criteria that you as a mapper apply to select which to use?

There may be a disconnect with what the US (or that spammer) means.  Could
I get a clarification on the difference between "doctors" and "clinic" as
you understand it?