German native speaker who has lived in the US for a good while and works in
health research.  Jmapb's definition sounds pretty good to me. I think the
"accept walk-ins" may not be a great distinguisher. I can think of several
clinics here that don't accept walk-ins, and my small dentist practice does
accept walk-ins.

For the "usually named": I'd say a clinic would never not be named, but a
small doctor's office may still be named, as in your dentist example. Seems
less likely outside of dentistry.

In general, clinics are just more common in the US than in clinic because
of the structure of the healthcare system, which makes it quite difficult
to run a single-physician office (with the exception of certain
subspecialties or in certain locations).

 Harald.

On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 5:52 PM Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 1/23/20 22:42, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > There may be a disconnect with what the US (or that spammer) means.
> > Could I get a clarification on the difference between "doctors" and
> > "clinic" as you understand it?
>
> Personally (and in my country - Germany) there's precious little I would
> tag as a clinic; in everyday language we use the (german version of) the
> word clinic more or less synonymous with "hospital", with the possible
> exception that we'd also apply clinic to something that deals
> exclusively with non-illness-related things like e.g. a beauty clinic or
> a drug rehab clinic. In my language, a clinic would always be something
> where you can (and usually do) have a bed and stay for longer until the
> treatment is over. A building with a couple of different medical
> practitioners might be a "Gemeinschaftspraxis" ("shared practice") or
> perhaps an "Ärztehaus" (doctors' house) but not a "Klinik". Then again
> these would hardly ever be open 24/7...
>
> I'm not trying to apply my understanding of medical establishments to
> the US - just asking what the general understanding is on your side of
> the pond. Does Jmapb's distinction sound more or less ok for others too?
> He wrote:
>
> > amenity=doctors:
> > * are usually operated by (and even named for) a particular doctor (or a
> small partnership)
> > * are usually either a general practice or specialize in a small number
> of areas
> > * often require an appointment
> > * usually have typical daytime business hours
> >
> > amenity=clinic:
> > * are usually named like a business
> > * feature a larger medical staff, often rotating
> > * offer treatment for a wide variety of issues
> > * generally accept walk-in patients
> > * often have extended hours, including 24/7
>
> Is this "usually named ..." really a thing - I have a feeling that
> especially with dentists, even (what seems to me like) one-doctor
> practices will often be called some thing like "Bay Area Smiles Family
> Dentist" or something like that.
>
> Bye
> Frederik
>
> --
> Frederik Ramm  ##  eMail frede...@remote.org  ##  N49°00'09" E008°23'33"

Please use encrypted communication whenever possible!
Key-ID: 0x34cb93972f186565