Going to chime in here as someone who has lived the majority of his life in CT.

I am quite familiar with CT's 8 counties and their geographic forms.
But I only have a vague idea what a COG is and couldn't have told you
offhand anything about where the boundaries between them are.

I support the idea that counties in CT should be tagged the same as
they are in other states. On the most basic level, this is simply
consistent - why should CT be tagged differently than elsewhere?
But even on a more nuanced level... the average person isn't concerned
about what government functions are or aren't associated with a
county. CT's counties have no associated government (anymore) but they
are still commonly used for statistical purposes and they still have
cultural relevance as well - you will hear references in casual
conversations to Fairfield and Litchfield counties. Meanwhile ask any
Connecticutter what COG they live in and most of them will probably
answer "what's a COG".

Great current example of this, look at the state's reporting on covid
cases:
https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/Coronavirus/CTDPHCOVID19summary5132020.pdf?la=en
Page 2 shows current hospitalizations by county. No reference to COGs
to be found.

Thus, counties should retain their admin level tags, and COGs should
be tagged less prominently.