On 6/6/20 9:24 AM, Paul Johnson wrote:
On Sat, Jun 6, 2020 at 8:24 AM Mike Thompson <miketh...@gmail.com <mailto:miketh...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    ref:
    The wiki states that these should be ref=FR + <what is on the
    sign>. In practice:
    * ref:usfs=FS + <what is on the sign>
    * ref=FS + <what is on the sign>
    Most of the changesets that added a "ref:usfs" tag include a very
    helpful comment that this issue was discussed on the tagging list
    at sometime in the past and that this was the consensus, e.g.
    [2].  If this continues to be the consensus, can we change the wiki?

ref=FS <what's on the sign>

Ultimately consider adding a route relation with network=US:NSFR:Forest Name:FH/FR as well so we can finally kill off route tagging on things that are not routes.  Not sure we really need the FH/FR distinction, however, since within the same forest, they're all the same network: The 2 digit routes are major, the 3 digits are minor (like parking lots and campgrounds) and the 4 digits are usually only usable by log trucks and 4x4s.  Trails are another matter.

I prefer ref=FS xxx   too.   I think the tagging discussion that suggested ref:usfs was using that for the route relation.