I stumbled across a project called pihole that makes a pi a hygiene proxy.
I ripped from it the logic that does the "bad guy" list maintenance which
includes some windows and apple spyware address ranges. A dynamic blacklist
would be the way to go in my opinion.

The system blackholes the dns entries.

I like it.

David

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017, 9:34 PM o1bigtenor via talk, <talk@gtalug.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 9:07 AM, Kevin Cozens via talk <talk@gtalug.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On 2017-06-14 06:49 AM, o1bigtenor via talk wrote:
>>
>>> don't want the stupid thing to be transmitting. According to the 'idiots'
>>> selling the thing it will only transmit AFTER its been logged onto the
>>> companies 'cloud' (like I'm going to pay for insecurity!!). There seems
>>> to be no understanding that 1. I don't want their access to my data
>>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>> Somehow the sellers (and manufacturer) are missing the point that if the
>>> machine can send cell phone signals it can also receive them - - - and I
>>> won't allow that if I can help it.
>>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>> How could I disable this 'feature'?
>>>

>> One option is to attempt to root the device (if it is the type to have a
>> root mode) and see if you can disable it. The other option is to see if you
>> can install some kind of firewall software to at least limit it will listen
>> to and/or send to.
>>

> Greetings
>
> These ideas are pretty good ones, and I am looking into them, but all of
> this presupposes at least a somewhat willing machine user (willing to root
> or physical changes or ????). What about the other 95% of the users who
> have no idea how vulnerable they are. I'm thinking a better thing would be
> start a 'shame' list that gets broad-casted at the next major computer
> security conference of the multi-nationals that are using an implied
> consent from their customers placing those same customers in a
> (computer/telecommunications type) potentially very vulnerable position of
> not really having their personal health information given the security it
> deserves. The sales reps are talking about how it meets the standards but
> they sure are answering questions when I'm asking about any controls on
> outside calls into the machine that might alter its functions!
>
> What say you to this form of push for a change?
>
> Dee
> ---
> Talk Mailing List
> talk@gtalug.org