Thanks to all who have contributed to the discussion.

All comments read with great interest.

* * *
* * *

I have been able to use a public-access workstation at my local public library
branch, to download onto my USB hard drive (WD "Elements" model, pre-fomatted
with NTFS):
  a.. the three debian Linux installation DVD isos;
  b.. the System Rescue iso;
  c.. the Windows installer .exe for unetbootin;
We are allowed to plug in our own USB devices (at least a USB hard drive works)
to the library's public-access worlstations, and download files over the very
fast Internet connection there.

* * *
* * *

I had thought that the three (3) DVDs listed on the
:
   https://cdimage.debian.org/debiabn-cd/current/amd64/iso-dvd/

page, were all I needed to get a fairly current debian Linux installed on my
new PC.

But now, with Lennart's comment about 3 BDs versus 13 DVDs, I'm very confused.

Looks like I need to do more research to understand exactly how many GB of
debian Linux installation & update files, I am going to need to download.

I'm not a huge fan of doing massive software updates. I tend to be leery of
just blindly updating software that is working fine. So picking and choosing
what I update works for me.

Regardless, looks like its Back to the Browser, for more self-education ...

* * *
* * *

There is some kind of CD burning utility software icon, on the main desktop
display of the library workstation, so I'm going to see if this software can
create a bootable Syatem Rescue image on a USB memory stick, from the System
Rescue iso I have already downloaded to my USB hard drive.

Given the low prices i am seeing for USB memory sticks, my thinking is to buy
two (2) and use one for a System Rescue boot stick, and the other for a debian
Linux installation boot stick.

Thanks again to all commenters ...

Best Regards,

Steve