Many Thanks To Lennart, Bob, Giles and D. Hugh,

All very helpful. Lots to think about.

* * *
* * *

As a result of earlier advice from GTALUG members, I have already prepared two
(2) USB memory stcks with bootable images, for verifying that the fresh PC
build can indeed (at least): 1. boot System Rescue and 2. do a standard Linux
installation:
  a.. System Rescue;
  b.. debian Linux install;
Once I get this new "baby" home, I'll start tinkering to get a final HDD
configuration and debian Linux installation.

* * *
* * *

Thanks also for much useful information around using VMs to run both Linux and
Windows, elicited by Michael G. in thread subject "[GTALUG] VM decisions for
school laptop..".

* * *
* * *

One poster remarked that I'm "overthinking" the partitioning. So true. My
Mother was a pathologically nit-picking bookkeeper -- what can I say ?? This
thoroughness heritage was both the strength and the weakness of my IT career.

The unfortunate "overthinking" mental condition has much improved during the
slow slide, since retirement, into old age (when mercifully, most of the brain
cells for anxiety have died off from overuse :) ...

Kudos to GTALUG !!

Best,

Steve