On Mon, May 2, 2022 at 9:35 AM William Park via talk <talk@gtalug.org> wrote:

> Yeah, I'm looking at Fedora too.  I just want something that is stable,
> that works after install, and will continue to work after upgrades for
> foreseeable future.  You can say that for Slackware.  But, I'm getting
> old for "manual transmission"...

As someone who will only install Fedora on his personal machines - and
has been using Fedora for 16 yrs now (I had to double check the dates
:-) ), I would really not recommend Fedora to someone who just wants
things to "work". I have never had an issue with something not
working, but I have almost always required some "advanced" level
tinkering at times with just a "dnf update". I lost wifi once because
for some reason, an update decided to get rid of all the firmware
files.

Another thing to keep in mind is - Fedora is fairly aggressive with
upgrades, and sometimes things are just, umm, unfinished, which again
breaks things. They do try to keep the upgrades under control within a
major release, but it is very maintainer dependent. And also, be
prepared to have workflow changes over major upgrades (and you do do
major upgrades frequently, because Fedora EOLs major versions fairly
aggressively).

And now I have a new, specced up laptop, but I can't get Fedora up on
it - because nvidia. Maybe when I have a few hours free to spend on
that.

Having said all of that, there is no other distro I would use for my
personal laptops.

Dhaval