On 2022-12-15 10:01, Stewart Russell via talk wrote:
announced the formation of the Overture Maps Foundation
<https://overturemaps.org/>, a new collaborative effort to develop
interoperable open map data
[snip]>  The thing is, we already have a mature global map database with
interoperable data and services: OpenStreetMap

The founding members of the organization probably couldn't think of how they could monetize OSM so they needed to create their own system. You can get a good idea that it is probably about having another revenue stream when you read about how much money they want so you can contribute or be on the committee. It is fairly safe to say there will be another "standard" generated for the map data that will not be directly compatible with any existing map system.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/               | "Nerds make the shiny things that
https://www.patreon.com/KevinCozens | distract the mouth-breathers, and
                                    | that's why we're powerful"
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172          |
#include <disclaimer/favourite>     |             --Chris Hardwick