| From: James Knott via talk <talk@gtalug.org>

| On 2023-06-19 18:04, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
| > Is such compression part of what HDMI carries?  For computer monitors?
| > Almost all compression used in video is lossy -- not what I want for a
| > computer monitor
|
| I don't know the details of what HDMI, but compression would generally be done
| near the source.
|
| I still don't think there are blanking intervals with digital video.  However,
| since you're using an analog monitor, blanking would have to be recreated for
| the analog signal.

There are blanking intervals with HDMI.  HDMI is considered digital:
the only signals are bits.

I don't consider my display to be analogue, but it is arguable.  It is
an LCD.and has HDMI in.

I know that this seems silly.  The reasons for it are historical.  At
no point in the evolution was a blank page employed.  At least that's
how I understand it.

(If I got to do a blank page design, I'd eliminate refresh as we know
it.  I'd just have a stream of screen updates.  I admit that that
isn't not the simplest way of transmitting movies.  Without care, it
might also look weird.)