On 2023-09-07 15:13, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
I have fibre in my neighborhood (less than 20 years old), and yet I still have a supported POTS line wired through my house that works with old phones. So we know Bell is able to supply a D-to-A facility in at least some modern locations. If Karen's new location cannot do this then IMO they're breaking backwards capability. Maybe it's Bell, maybe it's the wiring in her building, but it's not Karen. In any case this situation arguably contravenes Canadian laws on accessibility IMO unless Bell can find an all-digital solution that addresses Karen's needs.

Yep, this is a point I have been making.  Bell will have fibre to somewhere in your neighbourhood and copper from there.  This has been done for years.  What difference do you expect between this and a copper pair all the way back to the CO?

It still goes back to how connections are made and the bandwidth etc..  Bell has to provide a standard toll quality circuit.  That used to be over copper all the way from the CO.  Now it could be from a terminal in a home, as I have with Rogers.  Either way, it's still a toll quality connection.  Here's an article about the G.711 CODEC, which describes what's expected from a phone circuit, no matter who provides it and how.  Even ancient analog systems provided similar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.711