In GNOME (and surely other systems) you can specify that you want the
contents of the display scaled.  For example, 200% scaling doubles the
size of everything on the display in both dimensions.

The control for selecting scaling is in GNOME's "Display Settings", under
"scale".  Easiest way to get there: right-click on empty part of the
desktop and select "Display Settings"

This is useful if you have a HiDpi (high resolution) display and low
resolution eyes.  Note: this is different from changing the display
itself to a different resolution.

Scaling by integral amounts has been available for a long time.  But it
isn't that useful.  It would be better if the system could handle scaling
by non-integral amounts like 125%.

For example, I have a 13.3" with 2560x1600 resolution.  100% scaling
is very fine.  Sometimes 150% scaling is easier to read.

Wayland allows this non-integral scaling.  Yay!
XWayland copes poorly with this: everything gets a bit fuzzy, even at
integral scaling points (but perhaps not at 100%).
XWayland is used by programs that use the X Window System APIs.

(I don't even know which programs that I use are using XWayland so I
don't know how badly this would affect me.)

I was looking forward to fractional scaling in Fedora 39 / GNOME 45.
But it seems to be turned off, again:
See <https://pagure.io/fedora-workstation/issue/357>

It appears that the Fedora folk think that:
1. fuzziness at integral scaling in XWayland is unacceptable
2. making a clear user choice "fuzziness is OK" isn't reasonable

Fractional scaling has been available before this with a magic
incantation.  I haven't tested it with Fedora 39.

 $ dconf write /org/gnome/mutter/experimental-features
"['scale-monitor-framebuffer']"

This only takes effect after the next login.