I know exactly what you are saying because my present Microsoft media corded keyboard cost $3.00 at a garage sale. It did not require a scrub though.

With the use of the free macro utility, Auto Hot Key,the media keys were able to be programmed to do all sorts of tasks which made the keyboard far more productive.

Auto Hot Key can be obtained from autohotkey.com and comes with quite an extensive set of examples and instructions.

An example to set up anapplication key using Windows Key and F12 would be as follows. Please note the symbols in the line below.

#F12:: send, +F10

The number sign above is for the Windows key while the plus sign stands for the shift key.

Cheers
Neville.